5 Auto Repair Tips for Women
According to research published in the “Journal of Marketing Research,” women are quoted higher prices for auto repairs when they are uninformed about the pricing of such repairs. When they have an idea of what it should cost they are no longer overcharged. The more women know about vehicle repairs the more they can help keep expenses down. They can also help ensure they are getting the best service overall when they follow a few helpful tips regarding repairs.
“Typically, women don’t feel comfortable going to the vehicle repair shop, because they feel they are not going to get fair treatment and may get overcharged,” explains Prashant Salla, founder of FixMyCar. “Being able to talk to mechanics directly about the car and seeing the actual repairs taking place outside their house, women feel much more confident about their car.”
FixMyCar is a company that is revolutionizing the auto repair industry, and one of their missions is to help women feel more comfortable about their vehicles. Their business model is mobile, so the mechanic goes to the person’s home or office, making the repairs and doing maintenance extremely transparent and hence more trust. This makes it more convenient and comfortable for people, especially women, who need to have repairs and maintenance done to their vehicle.
Here are 5 auto repair tips for women:
- Get it in writing. When you take your vehicle somewhere for a repair or maintenance, get in writing what is being done and the rate that you were quoted. This will help you avoid a situation where you are verbally quoted one price and then when you go to pay it’s much higher.
- Use your owner’s manual. Getting to know your owner’s manual is a good way to help keep up on what your vehicle needs to stay in top condition. Often times, the answer to common issues are found in the owner’s manual, but people don’t think to look there. If you no longer have yours, you may be able to find a PDF copy online.
- Keep up on routine maintenance. The routine maintenance on your vehicle is important to keeping it running good. If you fall behind in this area your vehicle will likely have issues that arise. Routine maintenance, such as oil changes and tune ups, are affordable and can keep your vehicle running great longer.
- Find a mechanic you trust. It’s important for women to trust their mechanic so they feel they are being well taken care of, rather than being taken advantage of. When you find a mechanic you trust you will know you are getting a fair deal.
- Keep track of what has been done. It’s always a good idea to keep a log or file with all of the work you have had done to the vehicle. This will help you if things are recommended that you know you recently had done, as well as when you go to sell the vehicle. Don’t try to rely on memory about what has been done, because you will not remember everything. Keep an envelope or file where you can keep all the receipts of work that has been done.
“Women love FixMyCar, because we make the process of getting your car fixed extremely transparent, convenient, quote upfront and we don’t upsell. Our best customers and members are women, and they tell us one of the reasons they use our service repeatedly is because of the excellent customer service,” added Salla.
Mobile repairs are also more affordable than going to a dealership or a repair shop. The mobile service model doesn’t have the high overhead that shops do, so the prices offered tend to be 20-30% lower than dealership and repair shops. Plus, it has been designed to allow mechanics to make a higher salary.
Services being offered by FixMyCar include diagnostic inspections, such as car not starting, check engine light on, strange noises, or not being sure what is wrong with it. Other services include battery and starter replacement, brakes and light engine repairs, routine maintenance, such as oil changes, and used car inspections for those who are purchasing or selling a car.
FixMyCar also launched a membership program where you sign up for a quarterly or yearly membership and they schedule and perform all your vehicle’s oil changes outside your house or office. This new membership comes with an unlimited oil change package, which is the first in the industry and allows customers to not worry about their vehicle’s oil changes. Not only do members get free oil changes scheduled and delivered to their house, but they also receive discounts on all other services provided by FixMyCar.
The company was founded by Salla in 2018, after he received an initial $250,000 in funding capital from an angel investor he met at a bar. Later, he secured another $1.6 million in investor funding, including from the likes of Marc Randolph, Netflix’s founding CEO, Richard Wolpert, HelloTech’s founder & CEO, John Kobs, ApartmentList.com’s Founder & CEO. Salla came to America in 2012 from India, where he was earning $100 per month working as a mechanic while studying Mechanical Engineering. In the Detroit area, he earned his master’s degree in automotive engineering, and has flourished in the industry. In addition to revolutionizing the auto repair industry, he is a great example of an American immigrant success story.
Currently, FixMyCar is serving the areas of Metro Detroit, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston. They are also moving into Austin, and eventually plan to have services being offered around the country. To learn more about FixMyCar, visit the site at: https://www.fixmycar.io/.
Founded by Prashant Salla, FixMyCar is a mobile auto repair marketplace that is revolutionizing the automotive repair industry. Founded by Salla in 2018, the company has locations in several major cities in two states, with plans to continue expanding nationally. Salla is an immigrant from India who has been able to achieve the American dream since moving to the country in 2012. To learn more about FixMyCar, visit the site at: https://www.fixmycar.io/.